Friday, January 8, 2010

Generation Gap Fail

I admit it. I re-entered the world of dating via the internet. I was 41, a single mom, and a full-time employee. It's not as if I had time to attempt to meet other singles in real time. I'm way not a bar person. My church doesn't have a "singles" ministry. And, I mean I was 41 and terrified to date again anyhow. Dating from a distance felt less threatening.

It's not that I didn't think it was weird. I did. And I do. A male friend suggested that I should do it, that I'd get a lot of "hits" on Match.com. I so wasn't into having my picture viewed by perfect strangers, nor did I really want how I looked to be the primary driver for starting a relationship. I tried the 3 month eharmony trial. Actually, I did the trial twice about six months apart. Who knew that a simple change of e-address could give me two free trials? Creative frugality has its perks.

Was eharmony an adventure? You bet. I was matched with the same man in each trial. I guess he hadn't found his 23 dimensions of compatibility match. Hm. He was a skiier and asked me a lot of questions about fitness....and I mean a lot. He abruptly "closed the match" with me in "open communication" when I said I exercised but wasn't obsessed about it. I think he got defensive when I said "obsessed". I didn't get past the multiple choice and 'must have/can't stand' lists with many "matches". Three actually. Two of those I never met. One I did.

I've been dating that one for a year and a half. After a year, we introduced our children. I've met his parents. He's met my mom. We've done holidays together. And, you know what? The fact that we met on eharmony still feels weird to both of us.

I thought perhaps the weirdness of internet dating was pronounced for us mid-lifers. After all, the young adult generation has grown up with the internet. It's probably just part of their world.

I was mistaken.

I was teaching a class of first year college students recently. We were discussed "social capital" in America. One of Putnam's questions is how technology has impacted the state of community in America. I don't know how, but the class dialogue went to internet dating. Simply said, they thought it was totally weird. As I listened to their rants about how bizarre it is to meet people on-line (to which I am sympathetic mind you), I started to smirk. It's not good when a college teacher smirks. Finally, I had to come clean.

I used it as a teachable moment. I admitted that I'd been dating a wonderful man for some time that I'd met on-line. Quickly, the dialogue started to back track. "My aunt met her husband on line; her marriage is great!", etc. And I stopped them. I said, no you have asserted a thesis: "People who date on-line are weird". Now, you have to make a decision. If your thesis is correct, then I am weird. If I am not weird, then your thesis should be modified. And, of course, I affirmed that my being weird is a very real possibility.

The jury on the class thesis is still out. But even if I am weird, I am enjoying the fruits of my odd foray into on-line dating.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

First of all...you are weird. On-line dating is weird and sort of awkward...but obviously worked for you. As a former e-dater (who is also kind of weird) I can say that with full knowlege. It takes courage to get on-line and fill out multiple choice questions about someone you only "know" on paper. You get matched with some total crazies every now and again too. I have since give up e-dating but who knows maybe there is a Craig out there for me too. You give me a little hope.

Cynthia said...

Read Susan Issac's memoir, Angry Conversations with God. She gives all of us hope, and a hope that comes from the truest source.

Kristina said...

Well, yes, of course you're weird. I probably wouldn't love you quite so much if not. But then again, I'm weird too, and I didn't meet my boyfriend online, so how does that fit into the class theory?
By the way, I miss hanging out and talking with you. And Gabe. And a lot of other people. Can I send you hugs through the internet? Or is the use of such a medium blasphemous?
Miss you.