Monday, December 21, 2009

Worth a Shot!

As Craig and I continue to date and seriously consider long term commitment, we both continue to pay attention to what our children need. We recognize that our joy in finding each other is, sadly, another notch in the loss column for our kids, another reminder that their parents are not together.

This weekend we got snowed in together and I borrowed one of Craig's T-shirts, having not packed for the two night stay. Last night, I wore the T-shirt to bed. Gabe asked, "Are you going to wear Craig's T-shirt to sleep in?". I replied, "yes" and added "that okay with you?". He said, after a long pause, that it was "okay" and that "I could wear Craig's T-shirt three more times, not counting today". He followed that with "I'm still getting used to this".

I affirmed him for being honest, that getting used to "Mommy and Craig" is not easy, and that he should let me know "what he needs".

After a quick pause he said, "I need an iTouch".

I laughed out loud...cackled in fact....as he grinned. I said something like I wasn't going to "buy" his comfort. And he shot back with a smile, "It was worth a shot!".

Indeed, helping him transition to the idea of Mommy having someone else in her life was "worth a shot". I get the sense that he is, actually, doing pretty well with it!

5 comments:

Nicolle Elizabeth said...

Cynthia, your little boy is cute BEYOND words! And I think a coffee date is in order... during J-term or spring semester! :) :) :)

Carrie said...

Having now spent some time with Gabe, it makes these bloggs all the more entertaining. I am impressed with his thinking. Not only did he go for the gift approcah he went for the moon with an itouch. Very impressive young Gabe...very impressive. On another note, I never saw a kid more excited to spend time at his mothers boyfriends house with his kids. You must be doing something right!

Kristina said...

classic. missing y'all.

Traci said...

Glad to hear the transition with everyone adjusting is going well and that Gabe is getting used to the idea. Enjoy the holidays! I miss you guys!

Unknown said...

This is a great story :) I'm always impressed with Gabe, and my thoughts are with you both as you continue to navigate this relationship.