Saturday, April 3, 2010

Warning Labels

I opened up a package of Chilean Sea Bass this morning. On the package was a sticker: Allergen Warning: Contains Fish. I wondered what this world has come to that Wegman's feels compelled to warn the consumer that a package of fish contains fish. Imagine.

And then I wished for a world, at least momentarily, where warning signs state what at least on the surface is obvious.

Relationship: Warning, this package contains conflict.
Profession: Warning, this package contains uncertainty.
Parenthood: Warning, this package has challenges.

It's not a direct parallel. Allergens to conflict, uncertainty, and challenge are not life-threatening. Naming their inclusion rarely offers an anti-dote to lawsuits.

Still, sometimes I just wish life came with warning stickers. You?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

First of all it's not everyday that I read the phrase.."so I was opening up a package of sea bass..." That made me chuckle right off the bat. Warning stickers would be amazing, especially on first dates!