Monday, April 5, 2010

Dating and Children

"You have too much make-up on your eyes", he says as she descends the stairs to greet her boyfriend.

The couple sits alone on the porch: NO KISSING!!!!, speaks his body language as he leaps through the front door yelling "Surprise!!".

The couple sits in a private space in the home hoping to converse: DON'T FORGET I'M YOUR GUARDIAN, he seems to say as he sits close, hovering, thereby preventing intimate-speak.

Yes, guardians can be ever so obvious in overprotecting their loved ones, hoping perhaps to keep them closer in the midst of their reaching out to love of a different sort.

It's particularly obvious when the guardian is an 8 year old watching ever so closely over his mom's interactions with her significant other. Seriously, my son watches me and Craig like a hawk. Surprise leaps...intentionally hovering. He seriously critiqued my eye makeup on Saturday.

Gabe knows what he is doing; I know what he is doing; I don't know that he knows that I know what he is doing.

Good news for Gabe. I'm keeping detailed notes for when he starts dating.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Gabe reminds me so much of myself at that age. I remember have two very distinct feels when my parents began dating other people. One was always excitement at meeting other kids and having new experiences. The other was outright contempt at times. I am sure Gabe is a lot kinder than I was. He just doesn't want there to be any mushy stuff. It's so bizzar at first to see one of your parents kissing someone other than your other parent. Sounds like Gabe is making sure your virtue is in check!

Kristina said...

HA! I am most amused by your promise to take notes and turn the tables on Gabe some (far away) day :)