Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Coda

Apparently, I've been shaped by academia more than I imagined. Over the past several weeks, I've been "matched" with about 40 men...and, after reviewing profiles and communicating with a few on-line, I'm in the process of meeting 3 people for coffee. I've narrowed the candidate pool to 3; after I meet them, I'll know whether to pursue any of them or whether I should reopen the search.

At this phase, it's humbling and awkward to meet someone in person simply to see if there is any "connection". At the same time, it's kind of liberating to know that you and the other party are doing the same thing. If there's no connection, you simply enjoy coffee and conversation and move on. There is no further obligation.

I'm excited about whom I'm meeting...an academic, a non-profit leader, and a musician. The more exciting thing is that I know, when I meet each, much better what I'm looking for....emotional attentiveness, deep Christian faith, self-awareness, and fun. Someone who knows who they are and will appreciate me for who I am. Someone with whom I can grow and mature alongside.

I've learned much from these "voice lessons". I'm proud of how I've grown, particularly in understanding my own gifts and authentic needs. I've grown to understand the expansive vision God has for me, and for all of us, in relationships with people..with not only a significant other but also the joy of family and friends. As such, this seems like a nice moment in which to bring this blog to a close.

This is not the end of my story of course. It is simply a coda, this movement in the larger musical composition is it at its end. I don't know what is to come...but as I reflect at this moment...I sense the reality of hope and possibility for the musical movements that will follow.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You could not have ended this blog on a better note. Thank you for sharing your journey and the lessons you have learned along the way. I can't tell you how many times I gleaned some perspective from your thoughts. Thanks for your honesty and encouragement. Your possibilities are endless!

Jr. Williams said...

Free online singing lessons plz?
voice lessons