Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's Time

I swore I'd never lose myself in a relationship. And, I'm glad to say, that's largely been true. I did, however, lose this blog in the midst of a relationship.
Two blogs in the first 9 months of this year...the first a breakup in March...the second a back-together in July. I couldn't bring myself to blog when I broke things off on September 1st.

When I told Gabe, he said: "Are you going to get back together?" and I said "I don't think so, honey". He said..."You break up, you get back together, you break up, you get back together...that's how things work!". "Well, that's what I hoped too but it doesn't always work that way", I noted.

It's been a few months and we're doing fine. Gabe keeps asking me if I'm dating someone (No!) and he's on the lookout when we are out..."You Single?", he suggests I ask when I so much as greet a man.

Lest I leave my dating life to my 10 year old matchmaker (whose suggestions thus far include a grocery checker half my age), I should probably get back out there. While I have fantasies of meeting someone in some real-life context, that's just unlikely in my circles, so I am thinking about venturing back on-line. This, however, requires some humbling work....the daunting "personal profile". Here's my first draft...dear reader, would you...if you were a handsome, engaging, intelligent 40 something year old male...find reason to e-wink me?

What a gift to leave myself open to the possibility of a committed relationship in the long term. Getting there means meeting new people and making friends...gifts in and of themselves. I've learned much from past relationships, and trust that I will learn more in the future...both about myself but about the nature of relationships as well.

I have a 10 year old son, who is the joy of my life. He keeps me grounded by making me laugh and reminding me what's important.

I have a diverse group of interests, including reading, theatre, and music. I also enjoy a sports game from time to time, and keep apprised of my beloved Buckeyes.

I am lucky to have meaningful work as a college faculty member. Working with the next generation keeps me young at heart and hopeful for the future.

There is much of life that is made richer when it is shared, and I look forward to making connections that allow me to share both the joy and challenges that life offer.

No comments: